Tuesday, December 27, 2005

A note -- is inspiration an interpretation?

A yoga teacher handed me a card at the end of this evening's practice.

It quoted, on the front, the Queen of Hearts' observation regarding believing impossible things before breakfast.

Inside, the teacher had penned Joseph Campbell's injunction to follow your bliss.

I appreciated the teacher's interest in me that was represented by the card.

I commented to her as I left the studio that she was suggesting dangerous ideas.

At the end of a yoga practice, my bliss is unquestionably more yoga. A lot more.

Yet I bear labels of others who have claimed me first -- among them: husband, father, lawyer, and employee.

Part of me insists that my bliss is a composite of all of these. Part of me sees that assertion as mere equivocation.